"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, September 14, 2012

Plate Tectonics.

I guess the plates only needed the green light from Marino Protti in order to start moving again.  Because since my last blog post on Tuesday, I cannot begin to count how many earthquakes or aftershocks or tremors, whatever you want to call them, that we have had.  Six today, three of which were strong enough to be felt.  I hate it when they are during the night.  Today one of them occurred at school.  I was on a break talking to another American teacher.  I was standing and she was sitting.  She immediately jumped up and held each other until our heart rates slowed down a bit.  We talked about how much anxiety this is causing.  It seems she is like me in that every single movement she thinks is the beginning of an earthquake.  

About an hour and a half ago, we had another strong one.  Another advantage to living with ticos is that no one understands me when I inadvertently shout a profanity.  It felt strong and longer than some, so we checked the online registry.  It was a 4.1 and the epicenter was only 1 km from this house.  I walk through here when I go on walks.  Thank the Lord I hadn't had my afternoon coffee and decided to go exercise yet today.  I haven't walked or gone on a bike ride since last week's earthquake.  No thank you.  


You know what is ironic?  I had just finished a unit on earthquakes before last Wednesday's quake.  Well played Mother Nature, well played.  Next week we will wrap up a chapter on Volcanoes.  Let's not get any ideas Mother Nature... We don't need to add volcanoes to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment