"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Insecure False Gods

I have been reading a book about discipleship called "The Lego Principle"  by Joey Bonifacio.  Although there are many lessons to be learned in this book, I am enjoying reading it so much that I don't feel like I'm straining my brain too much.  The other day I read something that kind of blew my mind/ smacked me in the face/ made me open my eyes/ reread that section several times.  Reading in a chapter on Forgiveness, something that I am not so good at, but am working on daily was a section titled "Insecure False Gods."  Because I found these words so profound and thought-provoking, I am just going to re-type them so anyone who reads my blog can be challenged the same way that these words have challenged my thinking.  Here goes:

"Today much of the world recognizes the wisdom of the sixth commandment: "You shall not murder." But unforgiveness follows us still.  While most of us don't literally kill people, we erase them from our roster of our relationships rather than enjoy them for who they are in God.  Often we tolerate their existence rather than explore the possibility of having a relationship with them.  Even here we have decided what is good and evil about people.  We have become judges and attempted to take on a role that belongs to God."

I have never thought of unforgiveness as murder, but this passage rings so true.  After considering unforgiveness as murder, I know I have "mentally murdered"/ erased  people from my lives after failed relationships (failed in my human opinion) just to save myself the pain.

Anyways, just wanted to share that passage and hopefully someone gets as much out of it as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment