"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Only in Costa Rica...

Some of you may remember a blog post last year where I mentioned that I had an iguana in the roof of my classroom.

If not, read that post here  He sort of became a staple to my classroom, an unofficial class pet which my students named "Marty."

Well yesterday, it finally happened... Marty fell through the roof of my classroom!!!  Holy moly, I don't think anyone was expecting that.  Yesterday was the last day of school before break (I'm actually at the airport writing this) so my students and I were watching a movie on my laptop.

We heard this huge commotion, which we hear quite often as Marty runs around on the tin roof.  Then next thing I knew, he was on the tile by my desk.  Stunned.  I'm actually not sure who was more shocked, myself or Marty!

Conveniently I had BOTH fifth and sixth grades in my class at the same time, and everyone was freaking out.  Iguanas are nice to look at, but this one was obviously scared, and I know that they can claw you with their talons and whap you with their tails.  So I evacuated all of my students out of the classroom and ran to get the agriculture teacher... I didn't know what to do with this mother of all iguanas!

I just keep thinking how lucky I am.  If I would have been sitting in my desk, that iguana would have fallen straight on top of me.  That would have made a better story, but I think this story is interesting enough.

The agriculture teacher and I shooed Marty out and pointed him in the direction of the classroom door.  Poor Marty he was obviously frightened!

This ranks upon the most interesting things that have occurred in Costa Rica since I've lived here.  This and the earthquake last year.  Two things that Classroom Management did NOT prepare me for!  But what a story I have to tell!
Right under my desk!

Heading toward the door, but still not sure what to do

just look at the size of this monster!

Have you ever had an iguana under your desk?


No comments:

Post a Comment