"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, July 29, 2012

caballito

Did you know that tic-tacs could melt?  I didn't know that either, but apparently they will melt in Costa Rica.  Yes, it is that hot.

I found a trail of ants in my room this morning.  I've known not to keep food in there ever since the ants beat me to eating my raisins.  So what could they be after?  I followed the trail to my backpack and into my backpack.  My pens?  I stuck my hand in the zipper pocket with my pens to find some orange goop.  If it smells like a tic-tac and tastes like a tic-tac, then it must have [at one time] been a tic-tac.

All ya'll Floridians can quit complaining to me about how hot it is in Florida right now.  Is it hot enough to melt tic-tacs?  Didn't think so.  And are you complaining about the heat while sitting in an air-conditioned building also cooled by a ceiling fan?  Mmmhmm.  That's what I thought.  Until you don't have air-conditioning and a ceiling fan, then no complaining!

How did you watch the opening ceremony on Friday?  I watched it in Spanish with my tica family.  Did you have a snack or a beverage during the ceremony?  We did...we had coconuts straight of the tree in the backyard and agua de pipa to drink.  That's right.  Chop 'em in half with a machete, pour the juice into a cup (or drink straight from the coco with a straw if you so prefer), and eat the rest with a spoon.  Pretty cool, huh?



On Wednesday we had a celebration at school for the Annexation of Guanacaste holiday.  I've learned why the Costa Rican school year is 200 days instead of 180...those extra 20 days are spent partying!  So Wednesday there were more cancelled classes, and an assembly.  The students shared dances, skits, poems, bombas and more.  The colegio students had made typical food to sell at the festival.
All of the pre-k and kinder students dressed up with the full skirts or the white button up, scarf and hat and they were just the cutest little things.



Some of my students performed a dance and it was just so great.  I can't take credit for teaching the dance to them, but they made me proud to be their teacher.  Take a look:


No comments:

Post a Comment