"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, June 25, 2012

Ants on a log, anyone?


In one week, I will be en route to Florida!  Finally.  This has been the longest two months.  The other day one of my friends sent me a message and said this has been a really long three months.  I said, it sure feels like three months, but it has actually only been two!  I can’t wait to get my hands on a jar of JIF peanut butter.

I don’t think I have ever in my life seen as many ants as I saw this morning.  During first period English, one of my students shouts “hormigas!” Okay, ants, yes.  We see ants everyday, so why shout now?!  They were on the windowsill.  Then I walked over and stuck my head out of the window.  The ground appeared to be moving—I don’t know of another way to describe it.  Thousands of ants; I’m not exaggerating.  I don’t think you could comprehend the quantity of ants that I saw without being here, because I didn’t think it was possible. 

The ants were climbing up the walls and into the room.  It wasn’t just my room; I heard commotion in the other rooms too.  And then I looked outside of the other side of the room and they were all lined up across the sidewalk.  Then they started to take over the room.  The wall that is painted green began to turn black. 

Of course I’m wearing sandals on the day that this happens.  I’m telling my children to ignore the ants, but I can’t ignore them myself.  This many ants could kill me; in fact, they could probably kill someone who’s not even allergic like I am!  This swarm of ants was so strange that I’m still puzzled by what occurred.

Within fifteen minutes time it was like nothing had ever happened.  The ants began to clear out of the room, and the dirt returned to its stillness.  I’d love to know where they all came from and where the ants went afterwards…

Just as I had decided it was safe again, I caught a glimpse of something black about to crawl on the shoe of one of my girls.  More ants?  No, SCORPION!  I have heard that there are a lot of scorpions out around this time of year, but this was the first (and hopefully the last) that I have seen. 

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

p.s.  I've changed a few settings on my blog.  For those of you who had asked me how to comment, you should now be able to comment without having a google account.  AND, if you want to receive an e-mail notification when my blog is updated, put your e-mail address in the box over there on the right.  Up a little bit.  See it?  Right there.  Good.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment