"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Wedding Crasher

I'm a wedding crasher.  I went to a wedding that I wasn't invited to, and I had never met the couple that was getting married.  I have become such a rebel.  not.

My host family was going, and promised me it would not cause a problem if I went.
Did I bring wedding attire?  I didn't think my paisley boots should make an appearance in the Catholic church of Cóbano.  I borrowed a LBD (little black dress) from my host mom, and dug out the one pair of wedges I brought with me.  I somehow put my hair in an updo in like 5 minutes.  Not sure how, because I am not good with updos;  I just know how hot that church is (no AC, remember!) and I wanted to do something a little different than my normal low messy bun with a flower clip.

The wedding started at 3 pm, tico time.  We left the house at 3:05 and we arrived before the bride.  What I realized halfway through the ceremony is that there was not a bridal party.  Just 4 children--2 flower girls and 2 ring bearers, and the bride and the groom.  That certainly saves a LOT of drama!

Maybe I just watch too many TLC wedding shows, but for all the stress, and time and money that goes into planning an American wedding--having to have everything perfect, with every t crossed and every i dotted.  I was so impressed by the beauty of this tico wedding.  Why?  The simplicity made it so beautiful.  She forgot to carry her bouquet, as she walked down the aisle, and when someone gave it to her at the reception, it was just like oops!  Whereas, it would have been catastrophic if that happened to any TLC bride.

I am always astonished by the huge figures that are spent on food and booze for a wedding in the US.  None of that here. A group of women who attend the church of the bride gathered together in the morning of the wedding.  They cooked the main dishes and a few little appetizers.  We ate off of plastic plates, and drank from plastic cups.  Everyone left with full bellies and I didn't here any complaints.

Here are a few pictures from the wedding:

the setup 
the bridal party

here comes the bride

during the ceremony

signing and making the marriage official


where the reception was held
decorations at the reception

admiring their cake  (she just may be wiping a tear!)

No comments:

Post a Comment