"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' "
Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, December 8, 2013

A descansar.

After spending four hours on the bus to and from San Jose, the last thing I willingly wanted to do was take the 6 hour bus ride to Cóbano the next day. And with all that traffic, who knows what time I would have needed a cab to take me to the bus station downtown and how much that would have set me back. So Mamá Tica and I decided that it would be best if I stayed until Sunday and took the 6 am bus because there shouldn't be a traffic problem before 6 am on a Sunday. 

So on Saturday I stayed in. How boring of me to sit inside a house in Costa Rica when I could be out and about. Well it's just good bonding time with Mamá Tica and I love her family. I helped her prep for a fruit cake or more like a dozen fruit cakes. I must have chopped 1,000 almonds and pecans. Now the fruit is soaking in rum...
Raisins, plums (in prune form), and the typical candied fruits that you see in a fruit cake.

The walnuts were easy. Didn't even need to use a knife. Especially not one that large. 

Those almonds on the other hand, definitely demanded the large, sharp knife. Next time I visit, I am going to bring a package of sliced almonds. 

We had some more good conversation while we prepped, but I was more focused on not slicing my finger off.

Later I did some translating for her and we wrapped some presents. 

That afternoon, her granddaughter, who is equally sweet as Lilliana, thoughtful, intelligent, polite... Came over with her mom and step-dad and she was all excited about the tall brown boots and matching brown shoulder bag so she brought that in to show it off. They had gone to Price Smart which is a membership club like Sams or Costco.

Here's María Fernanda and I by the tree.

May I just brag on her for a moment? She is 16, and graduates high school this Thursday and has already been accepted into the University of Costa Rica where she wants to study to be a pediatrician. Why? Because she loves children so much. Anyways, she's a pretty awesome person inside and out. 

Later that night after I reorganized my suitcase, I just watched tv with Mamá Tica. That means the two of us laying on her bed with the dog cuddled up by me and the cat near to Mamá Tica. It just seemed so normal laying there and watching tv with her in our pjs. Something I do with my own mom. I just think it's pretty cool the relationship we have when the placements for the host families were "random." God certainly blessed me with that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment